Total Pageviews

Followers

Thursday, March 8, 2012

One of them rants

I recently watched the KONY 2012 video about the abduction of children to be soldiers and sex slaves in Africa (mainly Uganda). This happening in my (ex) neighboring country without a lot of the world really knowing till now (especially young people), really makes me pleased about how well social media is able to react and spread awareness to the masses in a matter of days. It really it incredible what normal people can do nowadays if they set their minds to it.

However, I am not too happy about how uninformed the video actually leaves people who watch it. Especially Ugandan locals have made comments about the video spreading outdated information and the campaign glorifying this particular organization. So I haven't quite made up my mind about the charity in question either. I think that the matter is incredibly serious and urgent, but the best thing to do in my uneducated opinion would be to help the healing process going in Uganda and not make this another "war on terrorism". Also, with the video gaining so much popularity, the street campaign and the silly bracelets seem a little useless, no?

If you've watched the video read this as well for a collection of different perspectives on the matter and then make up your mind. WHAT DO YOU THINK?


xxx
Ninja

No comments: